Monday, February 24, 2014

Oatmeal Pancake Mix... Quick and Scrumptious Breakfast for Busy Mornings


I've talked about how much my kids hate cold cereal. However, they ADORE pancakes. The problem is, I HATE starting the morning with a sink full of dishes which always seemed to happen when I made pancakes!! Therefore, I made them ONLY on Saturday nights (the day we have breakfast for dinner).

Sadly, my children would constantly ask for pancakes almost every day, and I  told them no..  I felt NO guilt doing so. Eventually though, the guilt penetrated this heart of mine... I was making the kiddos eat cold, sugary cereal, and all they wanted were pancakes. Oh the drama...

 But,  hooray for this solution...

I found this oatmeal pancake mix recipe, and didn't think much about it UNTIL I realized that it makes a ton, and lasts for months!! Plus, it's healthy... made with real oatmeal and whole wheat flour. Best of all, it's SO good. My six year old even asks for the leftover pancakes for his after school snacks... that means it's good! Promise.

I whip us a batch of this mix every 2 months or so, and keep it in a tightly covered container in the fridge. Now my kids get to eat their beloved pancakes a few times a week, and I only have 1 extra thing to wash... the pancake grill. Much better than sad, sugar cereal eating kiddos. (Ok, they still eat cereal more than their fair share of time, but I'm working on it :)!

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups oats (quick)
5 cups whole wheat flour (or substitute white for some or all if desired)
3 Tb sugar
3 Tb baking powder
1 Tb salt
1 Tb baking soda
1 cup canola oil

Directions:
For the Mix...
Mix all ingredients except for oil in mixer with a paddle, or by hand.

Slowly add the oil while mixing.

After adding oil, grab a handful of mix in your hand, and squeeze. If it remains together, it's the right consistency. If it falls apart, it needs a bit more oil. Add a tablespoon of oil at a time, until it reaches the right consistency.

**Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer for 2-3 months. Also, can be stored in an airtight container in the pantry for 1 month.

To make the pancakes:
For each cup of mix: add 1 cup of buttermilk and 1 egg.
(No buttermilk? Add 1 Tb of lemon juice to 1 cup of milk, and let sit for 5 minutes)
Stir and then pour on griddle.

Serve with syrup, fruit, cinnamon & sugar, jam, nutella, cookie butter...

**Note: You can also grind the oats before adding them to the recipe. This makes for a smoother pancake. Either way tastes great.
**Also, buttermilk freezes very well and comes in handy when making this often!

Recipe Source: King Arthur Flour

Happy breakfasting,
Nancy Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...