Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Baked Oatmeal



I've been on a quest to un-drudgerize breakfast for my family.  My kids don't like cereal anymore... even the sugary ones. Why? Well, this mama hates to start the day with a mess and a sink load of dishes, and cereal is the greatest option for minimal mess and dirty dishes. But, I've overdone it! Now that cereal is an unwelcome staple in our home,  I've been collecting easy and healthy breakfast ideas for a little more happiness at breakfast time... tasty, healthy, and quick clean up.

I came across this Baked Oatmeal recipe, and I LOVE it! It takes just a few minutes to throw together, and tastes way better than oatmeal cookies. Two of my kids won't touch regular oatmeal, but they gobble this down.

I've doubled the recipe when we've had guests sleep over. Everyone loved it. Next time we have guests for breakfast, I'm going to make this, and set out a bunch of toppings for an oatmeal bar.

Ingredients:
3 cups oatmeal
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup oil
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray 8X8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray

2. In a large bowl beat the eggs

3. Add all other ingredients

4. Cook for 20-25 minutes

Top with fruit, milk, nuts, or whatever sounds good!
Easily doubled in a 9X13 pan.

Recipe Source: Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe

XO, Nancy

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...