Thursday, May 16, 2013

Peanut Butter Cup -- Cake


A few weeks ago I went to a wedding reception catered by Lauralee's {AMAZING} Mother-in-Law.  She made a million cakes that were beautiful and delicious. I  sampled as many as I could, and then stole bites from my husband and kiddos too. Seriously... heaven! The cake I fell MOST in love with was the Peanut Butter one. I begged and pleaded for the recipe, and Lauralee was so kind to get it for me. Here it is, and I promise, it's seriously AWESOME!

Cake Ingredients:
1 box yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup crunchy peanut butter (or creamy, if preferred)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
{**or substitute the chocolate and peanut butter chips for 1 cup Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, chopped}
1 cup water
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
1/4 cup oil

 Frosting Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk or cream
2 tsp. vanilla

Decorating:
Peanut Butter cups
2 oz. chocolate
1 tsp shortening

Cake Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2-  8" round pans. (Or a 9 X 13 pan; or cupcakes).

Combine cake mix, sugar and peanut butter on low speed until crumbly. Set aside ½ C of peanut butter mixture.

 Add water, oil and eggs to remaining mixture.

 Mix at low speed until moistened, then beat 2 min on high.

 Fold 1/4 C chocolate chips and 1/4 C peanut butter chips into batter and pour batter into pan.
{**If using chopped peanut butter cups, fold 1/2 cup into batter)

Combine reserved mixture, remaining chocolate chips and peanuts. Sprinkle evenly over batter.
{**Again, if using peanut butter cups, add 1/4 cup to mixture, then sprinkle}

Bake 40 to 50 minutes - make sure to check at 40.
** For cupcakes bake 20-22 minutes.

While still warm,  sprinkle with rest of peanut chips and press into cake.
{**And if using peanut butter cups, sprinkle with 1/4 cup}

Frosting Directions:
 Place the butter and peanut butter into a medium bowl, and beat with an electric mixer. Gradually mix in the sugar, and when it starts to get thick, incorporate milk a little at a time until all of the sugar is mixed in and the frosting is thick and spreadable. Beat for at least 3 minutes for it to get good and fluffy.

Assembly:
When cake is cool, spread frosting over one of  the round cakes. Put the other cake on top. (Tops of each cake will be a bit crumbly).  Spread frosting all over cake.

Microwave shortening and 2 oz. chocolate in 20 second intervals until melted.  Put in plastic baggie or frosting bag. Either use a small tip, or just cut the end of the bag. "Scribble" all over the cake. Garnish with chopped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.




YUM!!!

~Nancy

Linking to:  Link Love Thursday   A Glimpse Inside   A Handful of Everything
Redfly Creations   One Artsy Mama
A Peek into my Paradise   WhipperberryWeekend Wrap Up Party   The Best Blog Recipes
Family Fun Archives     Six Sisters' Stuff   Marvelous Mondays
Tidy Mom  Jam Hands  Mad in Crafts  Craft-o-Maniac

Pin It

8 comments:

  1. OMG!!! YUM!!!!

    I would love for you to share and link up at my TGIF Link Party.

    http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/2013/05/tgif-link-party-3.html

    Hugs, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cathy! I appreciate the invite! I linked up :.

      Delete
  2. Looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and oldest son would absolutely love this cake! Peanut butter is their language :) Fabulous photo's too! I just pinned this and I am following you now :) Krista @ A Handful of Everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Krista! I am following you too! I'm really glad to have discovered your blog, and all of those fabulous recipes!

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much, Cathy! I will definitely add your button!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband made these as cupcakes for my birthday yesterday and they were INCREDIBLE! I've searched for the perfect PB cake recipe and this is definitely it. Thank you for sharing this fabulous recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for letting me know this!!! Happy birthday, and I'm SO glad you enjoyed the cupcakes!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...