Wednesday, May 28, 2014
The Best EVER Banana Cake
I know, the title says "cake" and here I am showing a picture of cupcakes. Here's the story:
Several months ago at a family gathering I saw a cute, white frosted cake. No one had yet partaken, and so I watched closely for someone to take the first slice... not wanting to be overly-eager to dig into this cake I was having good vibes about.
Finally, when I took a bite... mmmm!! I KNEW that this was a recipe I absolutely HAD to track down (just like I did with THIS one). I've made it several times, and it doesn't disappoint! A few weeks ago, I was assigned to bring a dessert to a dinner party. I was so busy that I handed the recipe over to my husband to make. He did, and holy cow, now he's a celebrity cook among that dinner group! Of course, he got all the recognition :)!
I've had this on my checklist to share here for a while, and finally decided to make the cake recipe into cupcakes. I loved them as cupcakes, but honestly, even more as a cake. The ratio of frosting to cake is PERFECT! As cupcakes, I haven't quite perfected it. So, definitely make it as a cake... your taste buds will party. Then, try cupcakes later too, if you want.
1 1/2 cups bananas, ripe, mashed
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/8 cups sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (8 oz package cream cheese)
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
walnuts, or whoppers
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
2. Grease and flour a 9X13 pan OR two round pans.
3. In a small bowl, mix mashed bananas with lemon juice, set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
5. In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar til light and fluffy.
6. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in vanilla
7. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
8. Stir in banana mixture.
9. Pour batter into prepared pan, or pans. Bake for 1 hour or until done.
10. Remove from oven and place directly in freezer for 45 minutes (makes the cake very moist).
1. Cream butter and cream cheese until smooth.
2. Beat in vanilla (1 tsp)
3. Add powdered sugar. Beat on ow speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
4. Spread on cooled cake.
5. Garnish :)
It's DEFINITELY worth making!