Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Hand-dipped Chocolates!


Every Christmas my Mother-in-law is up to her elbows in chocolate (literally). So for the past few years I have been trying to learn how to hand-dip chocolate myself. First, so that I can carry on the tradition. Second (and most important), so that I can have access to these nuggets of joy all year round. 

Anywho, I realized halfway into dipping them and being up to my elbows in chocolate, that taking pictures of the process wasn't going to happen. So, sorry you just get recipes and instructions. I realize I probably need to make a video for it all to make sense (maybe a future project).

Here we go:

First off you want to choose one of the following recipes for the center of the chocolates:


Elegant Chocolate Truffles:
1 ½ pounds (abt. 4 ½ C) milk chocolate or white chocolate (I used bakers chips), melted
1 cup whipping cream
1 ½ tsp. of flavored oils, flavored extracts (raspberry, orange, lemon, etc.) or vanilla

1.  Line an 8" square pan with plastic wrap, set aside.
2.  Place melted chocolates in medium bowl. (I melted my chocolates in the microwave. Put in  for 20 seconds, stir and repeat until it is melted.)
3.  Scald cream. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 min.
4.  Stir in extract. (I like to add fruit rind too. For example, If I am doing orange flavor extract, I  will rind about a tablespoon of the orange skin into the chocolate)
5.  Beat chocolate with an electric mixer and then pour in cream all at once and continue beating,  cleaning sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber scraper until mixture is well blended.
6.  Pour into prepared pan and refrigerate 6 hours until firm.
7.  When ready to dip, scoop out by tspful, shape into balls and dip.


Caramels:
2 C sugar                                                                     3/4 C evaporated milk
1 1/3 C white corn syrup                                             2 C cream (separated)
1/8 tsp. salt                                                                  3 tsp. vanilla
4 T margarine or butter

1.  Place evaporated milk and 1 cup of the cream in a large, heavy pan
2.  Add sugar, corn syrup, and salt
3.  Stirring with a wooden spoon or paddle, bring to boil
4.  Add remaining cream slowly so continues to boil
5. Cook to softball or 238 degrees, stirring constantly
6.  Add butter and vanilla and cook to 248 degrees (firm ball).
7. Pour onto large buttered cookie sheet. DO NOT SCRAPE THE PAN. Just let caramel drip out.
8.  Let cool for a few hours and cut/form into squares.


Fondant for Chocolates (I like this recipe for cherry cordials)
1 C whipping cream                                                     4 1/2 C sugar
1/2 C milk                                                                    1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 C Light corn syrup

1. Place liquids in a heavy pan, add remaining ingredients
2. Stir and cook to 228 degrees (soft ball stage) Stir while it is cooking if you like (but only while it's boiling)
3. Take off of stove and let it cool rapidly, moving as little as possible (or it will sugar).
4. Let it cool to about room temperature.
5. Using a wooden spatula/spoon stir until the fondant thickens. You know you are there when the fondant "breaks" from the spoon when you hold it up and drizzle it.
6. Add coloring and flavoring. Or if making cherry cordials skip this step.
7. Roll into balls to dip (use cornstarch to ease the stickiness to hands and work service)

Now comes the fun part! It is time to dip into the chocolate. But first you will need to choose the right chocolate and temper it.

- You will want to use quality confectioners chocolate (sorry chocolate chips won't do) I find my chocolate at baking supply stores or you can purchase it online at one of my favorite shops www.gygi.com.

- Next you will need to temper your chocolate. This website explains it beautifully! A few helpful tips: milk chocolate is more temperamental than dark, if you warm the chocolate too fast it will cloud up or "bloom". It is edible but not as pretty. Don't allow water to touch the chocolate, again it will cloud the chocolate.

- When your chocolate is ready, grab your centers (they should be at approximately the same temperature as the chocolate). Dip the centers in chocolate and with your CLEAN and DRY hand, pick the chocolate up and roll around in your hand. You want the chocolate to evenly cover. Roll the chocolate to your index and middle finger and let it plop/roll off your fingers (don't force it) onto a lined cookie sheet.

If this sounds complicated or too much work, just buy the brick of chocolate and find a cozy spot and enjoy. I won't judge!

-Lauralee









Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha your last line made me laugh out loud because I admit I was having that thought. I do want to try to make truffles for Christmas gifts we'll see if I can get up the courage/motivation. These look amazing though nice job Lauralee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try making these! My mouth is watering already!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...