Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Easy Homemade Strawberry Applesauce in Apple Bowls


One of the things I love most about fall is the abundance of gorgeous and delicious apples. I keep seeing recipes for homemade apple sauce that look scrumptious!  During Fall Break my kids helped me make some for breakfast, and it was sooooooo good! My two year old twins kept repeating, "more mommy", about 50 times. That's when I decided I had better share the recipe with you.

If you don't have one of these:

(or something similar), then cut the recipe in half or just buy a jar of applesauce at the store and add the strawberries and embellishments. Seriously, peeling all those apples by hand would be too much work regardless of how good it tastes.

Easy Homemade Strawberry Applesauce

(Adapted from Favorites; A Collection of Favorite Ivory Family Recipes)
Ingredients:
18 large Granny Smith Apples, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 cups of sugar (or to your liking)
juice of half a lemon
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
strawberries, cut in small cubes or mashed
cinnamon sticks (optional)
Any kind of apple for the "bowl" (optional)

1. Slice and peel the apples.
Kids really like this part. Maybe that's why they like the apple sauce so much!


2. Put the apples in a large pan and cover 3/4 of  them with water.

3. Bring to a boil then turn to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Do not drain.

4. Add the sugar, lemon juice, and nutmeg. (Add more or less sugar if desired. Remember it's sweeter when cold.)

5. Mash together with a potato peeler, or blend on low until mashed.

6.  Cut off tops of apples for bowls and hollow out with knife or melon scoop.

7. Pour applesauce in "apple bowls". Add cinnamon stick and strawberries.
When this is eaten warm, the strawberry and apple flavor mix dreamily on the taste buds.

Use the cinnamon stick as a spoon (if you're one of my children), and eat the bowl when you're done.



XO,

Nancy Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Do you think you could use another kind of berry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I just say that I adore you Mackay Memories?! Thank you for your support!! It feels so good to have someone comment. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. oops. I go so carried away that I forgot to say, yes, I think any berry would be yummy. You could even just add cinnamon and forget the berries.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...