Thursday, September 13, 2012

Educational Books


Continuing on the book theme for the month, this week we are going to explore the genre of educational. Now, before you stop reading in fear that I am going to pull out my old physiology or calculus textbooks, take a look at our finds. I think you will be pleasantly surprised! Who knows, you may even learn something new.

Lauralee: I stumbled upon this book oddly by catching a quick glimpse of a coach’s interview on ESPN (my husband was so proud) one afternoon. The coach recommended this read and so do I. To give you a basic break down, the book talks about the research and scientific evidence of exercise and the impacts it has on the brain. The book is filled with intriguing case studies, such as the revolutionary fitness program in Naperville, Illinois, which has put the school district of 19,000 kids first in the world of science test scores. The books main ideas is that “Aerobic exercise physically remodels our brains for peak performance in all aspects of life”. Sound interesting? Check it out for yourself.

amazon.com
Jan: When I was trying to think of an “educational” book, I went to my book shelf and realized how many books I have on "Marriage and Family".
What does that say about me?

A. I am working on a great 14 year marriage.
B. I have a deep passion for family, marriage and relationship books.
C. I need help in this area.
D. All of the above.

So, with that said, I would recommend all five of these books and the other ten on my book shelf too!

  • Men are From Mars, Women are from Venus by John Gray Ph.
  • Between Husband and Wife by Stephen F. Lamb M.D. and Douglas E. Brinley Ph.D
  • Mom’s Needs Dad’s Needs by Willard F. Harley Jr.
  • Becoming One- Intimacy in Marriage by Robert F. Stahmann Ph. D,Wayne R. Young  M.D. and Julie G. Grover, M.D (she delivered my first daughter)
  • Strangling Your Husband Is NOT an Option by Merrilee Boyack would have tobe my favorite.Merrilee Boyack helps YOU realize what YOU can do to improve your marriage. So many times we put the blame on our spouse when sometimes we need to take a moment and look in the mirror.  I love her humor and sincere desire to help us all to have a successful relationship with our spouse! A great book for all!


Nancy: Choosing a favorite book is almost as taboo for  me as choosing a favorite child, but the "educational" book that I have recently used the most is Itty Bitty Hats  (knitted hat patterns) by Susan B. Anderson. 

I absolutely love knitting.  I have two great-grandmas who stayed "young" until their late nineties. When I asked them the secret of their "fountain of youth", they both told me reading and knitting kept their brains working for a long time.  Scientific research says that knitting literally is an exercise of the brain and can prevent or delay memory loss. Also, there are many health benefits from knitting because it is a rhythmic repetitive movement. Some of the benefits include relaxation, bringing down blood pressure, decreasing depression or anxiety, and combating stress. Serotonin levels are also increased which lessens pain and improves the mood (.... read more here or here). Good reasons to pick up some knitting books and needles!

 The best thing is though, cute things like this are a result.... (ahem, the hats... not the babies :))


Maren: I'm currently reading a book titled, The Divine Principles of Mothering by Janice Gerber Neilson. This lady has successfully raised eight kids and she knows what she's talking about! In the book she describes each principle and then gives you examples from her own family which makes it both educational and entertaining. I really like this book because there are tons of parenting books on the market but this one has a unique Christian perspective which I relate to. If you have small children or even teens I would definitely recommend this one.  



Jen: My most recent educational read was The Work and the Glory series written by Gerald N. Lund.
 The facts in the books are based on real historical records.  These books taught me so much about the history of the LDS church as well as some of the other historical events that were taking place during the 1800's.  The fictional family who made up some of the main characters were so endearing, fun and interesting to follow. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn more about this history or just  wanting a great read that is hard to put down!




Happy Reading!
Lauralee

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...