Thursday, January 24, 2013

French Peasant Bread... so easy and yummy!!


One day I  found a loaf of bread wrapped in cellophane and tied with a bow by my front door. I opened it up, and mmmm the smell was amazing. I cut and tasted a piece of this bread, and oh my heavens, it was delicious. My husband found me, and he joined in.  The two of us consumed the entire loaf by ourselves!!! In one sitting. It was THAT good.

I found a little note from my friend Suzie, and texted her immediately demanding the recipe. She said, "oh it's SOOO easy." (Um, everyone says that. I didn't believe her.) But then I found out it really, it is so easy. No special equipment or ingredients needed.

 Here, my friends, is a recipe that could change your life....

Ingredients:
2 1/4 teaspoons or 1 pkg dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups flour
canola oil
corn meal
melted butter

Warm up a bowl in the microwave or under hot water (and then dry).

Add yeast, water, sugar, and salt to the warm bowl and stir until dissolved.

Add flour and stir until blended. DO NOT KNEAD!



Cover and let rise one hour or until doubled in size.

Oil a cookie sheet and sprinkle with corn meal.

Flour hands, remove dough from bowl. Divide dough into 2 rounds and place on cookie sheet.

Let rise one more hour.



Preheat oven to 425 degrees while bread is rising.

Brush the top with melted butter and bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and cook an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately brush again with butter.



It is especially delicious when served warm, right out of the oven!!!!
(Adapted from the cookbook Favorites)



This would be a great addition to one of these delicious soups:

Bench Stew

Corn Chowder 

Chicken Noodle Soup

Butternut Squash Soup

Pork Apple Cider Soup

Also, it would taste extra divine with this Raspberry Butter !

Enjoy!!
~Nancy 

P.S. A few tips when making bread:
-Make sure the kitchen is warm
-put the bowl the dough is rising in on top of a dishcloth for extra warmth   Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try! It looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum that looks good! Yeast is always intimidating to me somehow I never get it right. But at least with this one you don't go to all the effort and ingredients for it to just fall flat on its face. I'll have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeast has always been intimidating to me too. Every time I tried bread, it would turn into a big hard brick!! Finally I learned to keep the room warm, and another great tip is that bread machine yeast actually works well for any bread recipe- it's a lot more forgiving than other yeast. Since this is so easy, it's a great way to start feeling comfortable making bread and working with yeast. Plus, it's really good. I don't mean to flatter myself because it's my friend's recipe... it's so worth trying!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...