Thursday, January 10, 2013

What to do now...

  
Can you tell I'm sad that all the fun holidays are over? My house once riddled in sparkle and color is now drab and blah. It's freezing so I don't want to leave. My blood sugar level is beyond diabetic levels. Seriously, if it were illegal I could get arrested for having blood sugar this high and I doubt even Robert J. Debry could keep me out of the clink. Oh yeah and I'm poor. Thanks a lot Christmas! Just kidding Christmas I love you, I didn't mean it. So what does miserable old me do with approximately six months of Utah winter left and no baking to drown my boredom in? Turn on TV of course! Annnnnd decorate! Ah, nothing cheers the soul like a brand new project.

 I'm trying to fill the void above my foyer table that's been holidayed out since October. I want to incorporate something fun and colorful to make an inviting space when you first enter my door. A good part of the fun of decorating is the thrill of the hunt and if you're not dripping in wealth like me, the sweet deal. Therefore I will run into DI's funky but warm arms and find something of use. But to focus in what to search for exactly, I've got a few ideas and I want your opinion of what you think would look best.

So imagine you are walking into my house... Bam! Table! Stuff on it! Wow, if I lived here I would put a (fill in the blank) right there. 

Some options I've been considering:
Photo Source


If I do a mirror, my plan is to paint the border so I can bring that splash of color to the scheme. The thing is, I really want an circular one and DI doesn't always have exactly what I need in stock...

Photo Source
A picture in a frame (not this one) would be fun and a great way to bring in color. So this would be cool too. 
I really like the foyer that Lauralee posted here  the orange is so vibrant against the blue and the mirror is exquisite. I'd be happy if my hall looked a third this good.  

So, my wonderful friends, tell me, what do you think I should do? My house and my Seasonal Affective Disorder thank you.
~Maren
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I like the mirror idea and color but maybe you could paint the table instead of the mirror and get one of those silver ones like in the orange and blue picture. That hall would be awesome with stripes or wallpaper on it too. Go online. Shopping online always saves you a ton and also I hit marshals, and tjmaxx for my hidden decor treasures. Also you need at least one tall thing and then you can have some shorter things. The pots are all one height and you need a little more variation and also if you do keep the pots/vases I would clump three on one end of the table and then stack some books with a frame on top of them or even one of the vases on top of the books. Or put some tall sticks or flowers in the vases. Wow that was an earful. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Josh. That was both amazing and terrifying. How long have you and Deeds been hanging out for? JK thank you Annie great ideas all!

      Delete
  2. I hear you- the after winter blahs! Decorating is a great idea to get some happiness and fun in these bleak, cold, snowy days!!

    I think you could totally incorporate the foyer idea and the mirror. I saw some awesome mirrors at Ikea that would look really fun there. LOVE the painting stripes idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo I'll have to check out Ikea! Thanks so much for the great advice!

      Delete
  3. I love the mirror idea as well as a picture frame, not hanging on the wall but standing on the table and some flowers in the vase or something! Good luck, happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your ideas and I didn't even think of flowers! Flowers would be terrif. Thanks so much Daph!

      Delete
  4. I agree with post Christmas blues, I reccomend buying a house and having a baby to combat the boredom. Jk, I really reccomend learning how to paint your own picture and making your own frame so that by the time that's over with summer has come and gone and you can start decorating for Christmas again! Ok ok, I was thinking with your hall, it's so big that it seems you need bigger and more to fill up the space and balance it out. Sorry if that seems too overwhelming and I adding more annoy to your plate. I also like the mirror, but I'll always choose a picture first over looking at my own face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha that could be one of my all time favorite quotes "I'll always chose a picture first over looking at my own face." Thank you! Agreed that hall is too long and a new house and a baby would take care of that and the boredom. Thanks a bunch!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...