Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday Forum: a Favorite Quote by Martha Washington

You know those times when you read somethings that just jumps right off the page (or screen) and just gets in to you somehow? When that happens to me, I believe that I must need those particular words. I read this quote by Martha Washington several months ago, and knew I needed to remember...



One thing I know for sure is that we all have good times, and hard times... even the best of times and the worst of times. The people who inspire me most are those who have encountered tough times, yet still have a radiance of happiness around them. Like Martha determined herself.

I read about a a 92 -year old who plays the piano every week while the children in her church sing. I was so inspired by her. The article said, "She is a self declared happy person and has been described as a magnet for those around her.
"She realizes that sadness comes without effort and that happiness is a choice. She realized the same amount of work goes into maintaining either lifesyle.
"'I decided I'm going to be happy in life and I don't dwell on the unhappiness,' she said. 'Life's too short to be unhappy and I am a happy person'" (See LDS Church News, January 6, 2013 pg 12).

I believe that determining to be happy and cheerful in our disposition is a key to a fulfilling life.


What words or quotes have "jumped off the page" at you, or inspired you to become a little better?

PS. Feel free to print this quote. Right click, then save to your computer and print. Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Great quote Nancy. I like quotes that emphasize how much our choices have to do with our happiness in life. When ever I'd throw a temper tantrum growing up and scream at my mom,"you're making me so mad!" she would always respond, "no one can make you mad. " Of course that inevitably made me more angry but the lesson has stuck. No one can make me feel inferior without my consent as Eleanor Roosevelt would say. It's true we all choose how we feel about any situation. And that is empowering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post. A quote I read recently really helps me when I start complaing to much. The quote is "Talking about our problems is our greatest addiction. Break the Habit. Talk about your joys." Rita Schiano

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome quote! My favorite quote or saying comes from the movie "Oklahoma" in the song, Oh, What a beautiful morning. The end of it state "Everythings goin my way." I also love to say "Things always work out for me." This helps me to stay focused on the big picture and not worry so much about the small little things or even the big things that can ruin my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies for sharing those great statements. I'm definitely going to remember those!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...